Related Links

Gift Illustration

Complete Gift Description

Is This Gift Right For You?

Important Reminders

Details on Stock Transfer

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

Appreciated Securities
(Details on transferring stock)

A gift of appreciated securities that you have held for more than one year is frequently the most economical way to give. You will be eligible to take a federal income tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the stock on the date of the gift for up to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income and will not have to recognize the appreciation as capital gain. See below for information about how to give securities or mutual fund shares to Yale:

Securities Held by Your Bank or Broker

Please notify your bank or broker that you are making a gift of securities to Yale and instruct your bank or broker to either telephone Contribution Processing at (203) 432-4107 or e-mail for instructions. Please tell your bank or broker not to proceed until speaking with a representative at that office.

Securities Held by You

Please send unendorsed certificates by mail, along with a letter giving your name, address, Yale College class or Yale School affiliation, and the purpose of your gift to:

Yale University
Office of Development
Contribution Processing
P.O. Box 805
New Haven, Connecticut 06503-0805
Telephone: (203) 432-4107

In a separate envelope, please mail to the same address a stock power for each certificate, along with a copy of your letter. Do not complete any information on the stock power other than your signature and the date. If the certificate represents a greater number of shares than you intend to give to Yale, please enclose a note requesting the return of a new stock certificate with the non-gift balance.

Your bank or broker can supply you with blank stock powers, or Contribution Processing will be happy to send them to you. For most expedient handling, do not fill in Yale's name as transferee on either the stock certificate or the stock power, and please do not send stock certificates to a transfer agent for transfer into Yale's name.

Mutual Fund Shares

Please contact Contribution Processing at (203) 432-4107 with information about your mutual fund shares. The procedure for transferring shares is established by the mutual fund company, and Contribution Processing will be able to assist you with the appropriate letters of instruction.

Yale's Federal Tax Identification Number: